Atlanta in DeKalb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1995 by Georgia Dep. (Marker Number 044-70.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society, and the Time Capsules series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1835.
Location. 33° 52.417′ N, 84° 19.832′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in DeKalb County. Marker is at the intersection of Peachtree Road (Georgia Route 141) and Lanier Drive, on the right when traveling south on Peachtree Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4484 Peachtree Road, Atlanta GA 30319, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Samuel House Plantation (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brookhaven Historic District (approx. 1.1 miles away); Solomon Goodwin’s Res. (approx. 1.3 miles away); Old Cross Keys (approx. 1.3 miles away); 1917 ✯ Camp Gordon ✯ 1919 (approx. 1˝ miles away); 1941 ✯ Naval Air Station Atlanta ✯ 1959 (approx. 1˝ miles away); Ivy Street (approx. 1.9 miles away); Dodge's 16th A.C. Camp on Nancy's Creek (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
More about this marker. The Marker is located in front of the Oglethorpe University Campus.
Related marker. Click here another marker that is related to this marker. Oglethorpe University marker in Milledgeville where university was founded.
Also see . . . Oglethorpe University from New Georgia Encyclopedia. (Submitted on December 13, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 8, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,336 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 8, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.