Estate and Houses of Adare / Eastát agus Tithe Áth Dara
The old town of Adare, which stood on the northern bank of the river Maigue near the castle, was destroyed during 16th century wars. Almost all of the present town was built in the 19th century.
In 1683 Thady Quin, a local landowner, leased the ruined castle and lands from the Earl of Kildare. In 1810 Caroline Wyndham of Dunraven Castle in Wales married into the Quin family. Her husband's father, Valentine Richard Quin, then became the first Earl of Dunraven.
The early development of the town was haphazard. But from about 1820 on, streets and buildings were laid out according to the Earl of Dunraven's design. Houses were built by the Earl and rented under various agreements to the tenants. The resulting Estate Town survives almost intact in Adare today.
The Dunraven estate consisted of the Manor and its garden and woodlands surrounded by a high wall. Outside the wall were the houses of the estate workers and the shops of merchants who developed businesses in the town.
The original Adare Manor was built in 1730 as a much smaller house. It was redesigned by the 2nd Earl of Dunraven in 1832.
Along the South front
Except the Lord build the house, then
labour is but lost that built it.
[Illustration captions, clockwise from bottom left, read]
• The manor is now a hotel and the estate private property.
• Thatched houses built in the English village style, about 1825.
• Terrace of estate houses built in 1830
• Town Hall built in 1911.
• Estate houses built in 1911.
• Courthouse built in 1840.
• Valentine Richard Quin, first Earl of Dunraven.
Location. 52° 33.845′ N, 8° 47.431′ W. Marker is in Adare, Munster, in County Limerick. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (National Route N21) and Station Road (Local Route L1423), on the left when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Adare, Munster V64 WD25, Ireland. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washing Pool / Linn Níocháin (a few steps from this marker); Countess Dunraven Fountain (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Trinitarian Monastery / Mainistir Ord na Tríonóide (about 120 meters away); History of Adare Methodist Church (about 210 meters away); Richard, First Earl of Dunraven (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Augustinian Friary / Mainistir na nAgaistíneach (approx. 0.6 kilometers away).
Also see . . .
Categories. • Colonial Era • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Estate and Houses of Adare / Eastát agus Tithe Áth Dara.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 24, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 24, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 43 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 24, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.