The War Years - 1861 - 1865
— Atlanta Campaign Heritage Trail —
Calhoun's depot gained fame during one of the most unusual events of the war, known as "Andrews Raid” or “The Great Locomotive Chase." On April 12, 1862 the locomotive “General” stopped for breakfast at Big Shanty (now Kennesaw), Georgia. Civilian James J. Andrews and 19 others (mostly Federal soldiers disguised as civilians) took control of the train and steamed north. Their mission was to burn the bridges from Resaca, Georgia northward, thus preventing Confederate reinforcements from reaching Chattanooga prior to a planned Federal offensive against that city. The General's original conductor, William A. Fuller, and other Southern men gave chase to the stolen train. Pursuing first on foot, before using a handcar and two
The Texas slowed upon reaching Calhoun Depot, picking-up a teenage telegraph operator named Edward Henderson. Just north of town the raiders cut another telegraph line and attempted to pry loose a rail when the Texas first came into view. Andrews ordered a boxcar unhitched and cross ties thrown onto the track to slow their pursuers. At Resaca they attempted to burn a wooden trestle bridge by setting a second boxcar on fire. Rain foiled their attempt. The Texas merely hooked to the smoldering boxcar and continued. In Dalton, Georgia the Texas dropped-off Henderson, who telegraphed a warning to Confederates in Chattanooga. After running out of wood the General was abandoned north of Ringgold, Georgia. Andrews, and all his raiders were captured, and the Federal attack on Chattanooga
In May 1864, Calhoun again became a center of excitement as Confederate
reinforcements rushed north to oppose Federal armies under Major General William
T. Sherman at Resaca. On May 14 & 15 about 155,000 soldiers fought the first major battle of the Atlanta Campaign there. Calhoun Depot played a grim role, aiding in the
transport of many wounded soldiers. On May 16, 1864, the corps of Confederate Lieutenant Generals Leonidas Polk and William J. Hardee marched south past the depot. The Federal 4th Corps pursued, plus two divisions of the 14th Corps. A correspondent
accompanying Sherman's troops through Calhoun wrote that it was a “pretty little
town...when they haven't run away” as most residents had.
Erected by Georgia Civil War Heritage Trails, Inc. (Marker Number 15.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 34° 30.136′ N, 84° 57.194′ W. Marker is in Calhoun, Georgia, in Gordon County. Marker is at the intersection of South King Street and Court Street (Georgia Route 136), on the right when traveling north on South King Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 109 South King Street, Calhoun GA 30701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured
Also see . . . Wikipedia article on the Calhoun Depot. (Submitted on November 25, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Calhoun Depot.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 26, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 25, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 56 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 25, 2019, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.