The ruined castle before you was first built by the Norman followers of Theobald Butler as a 2 storey hall-keep in the 13th/14th c. One Thomas de Cantwell paid tax for the land of the manor of Dromineer in 1299. In the late 14th c. the land passed back to the native Ormond O'Kennedy sept, who were no doubt responsible for remodelling it into a 4 storey tower house in the 15th/16th c. After the Butler Earls of Ormond recovered the manor, the Cantwells returned as tenants in 1582, and still held it in 1640. The castle sustained its first and only recorded seige during the Cromwellian Wars, when Ireton's forces took and garrisoned it in 1650. The lands were returned to the Earl of Ormond at the restoration as absentee landlord, and passed down in that family until sold in the late 19th c. The castle appears to have fallen into disuse in the late 17th c.
Erected by Dromineer & District Development Association.
Location. 52° 55.546′ N, 8° 16.636′ W. Marker is in Dromineer, Munster, in County Tipperary. Marker and castle
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. The Canal Store (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line).
Also see . . .
1. Dr. Jason Bolton’s Report on Dromineer Castle. (Submitted on December 1, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Dromineer at Wikipedia. (Submitted on December 1, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Man-Made Features • Wars, Non-US •
More. Search the internet for Dromineer Castle.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 1, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 1, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 44 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 1, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.