Winnsboro in Fairfield County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
This Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church was incorporated in 1823. Early pastors were the Rev. James Lyle and the Rev. Thomas Ketchin, installed 1825 and 1844 respectively. The old cemetery, located at corner of Fairfield and Vanderhorst streets, is the traditional site of the first church building; the second, located across Fairfield Street, was dedicated in 1873. The Women's Benevolent Society was organized 1871 and the Junior Christian
Union in 1883. The congregation, under the Rev. Charles E. McDonald's leadership, moved to this site upon completing the present 1903 building. The Boag Memorial Educational Building, dedicated in 1937, was a gift of Mr. & Mrs. James O. Boag. Buried in the cemetery are the Rev. Neill E. Pressly D.D., and Rachel Elliot Pressly, first ARP missionaries to Mexico 1878-1917; and the Rev. Oliver Johnson, D.D., pastor of this church 1908-1945
Erected 1993 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 20-19.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1823.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winnsboro SC 29180, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James Henry Carlisle (within shouting distance of this marker); Town Clock (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fairfield County / Winnsboro (about 600 feet away); Fairfield County Courthouse (about 600 feet away); William Porcher Dubose (about 700 feet away); British Headquarters (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate Dead of Fairfield County (approx. 0.2 miles away); World War (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winnsboro.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 9, 2008, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 859 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 9, 2008, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.