Arthur's Way / Cosán Arthur
In the footsteps of Arthur Guinness
— Celbridge to Hazelhatch —
"Along the banks of that river, amid the groves and bowers of Swift and Vanessa, I grow convinced that I was right."
Celbridge (Cill Droichid: 'Church by the Bridge' originally angicised to Kildrought) was a fording point on the River Liffey, site of a holy well and church, and from the 1750s a plantation town developed by the Conolly family along a main street leading to the avenue to Castletown House. A Celbridge historical walking route complements the Arthur Guinness story. An information board and leaflet give more details.
SITES OF INTEREST
William 'Speaker' Conolly and his wife Katherine built Castletown House between 1722 and 1742 and encouraged the construction of stone houses along the approach to Castletown House. Among the first residents was William Conolly's chaplain and later archbishop, Arthur Price.
In the 1720s, Richard Guinness (c1685-c1767) and his family moved to 22 Main Street to manage Arthur Price's estate and brew beer for his employees. Arthur Guinness and his younger brother, also called Richard, grew up in Celbridge and were introduced
Manor Mills (Celbridge Mill) which was built by Louisa Conolly in 1785-88 was the largest woollen mill in Ireland at peak production in the 1820s and employed 800 people. The mill operated intermittently until 1982 after which it was restored as a community facility.
Oakley Park (outside the existing town centre on the Clane Road, currently St. Raphael's hospital) was built in 1724 for Arthur Price when he became Established Church Bishop of Meath.
Celbridge Abbey (across the Clane Road from Oakley Park), built in 1697, was the childhood home of Jonathan Swift's lover Vanessa (Esther Van Homrigh), and was later home to the famous Irish parliamentarian, Henry Grattan.
Arthur's Way loops through the scenic grounds of Castletown Estate. The intervention of Desmond Guinness, a direct descendent of Arthur Guinness, helped save the estate from destruction in 1967.
Castletown House, the earliest and, at 4,880 square metres/52,529 square feet, the largest Palladian House in Ireland, was constructed
FURTHER ALONG THE ROUTE
Pedestrians should take the footbridge over the Liffey and follow the signs to Hazelhatch. A distance of 3 km will bring you past Hazelhatch railway station to the Grand Canal.
Cyclists should retrace their route to the Celbridge Road, Leixlip and follow the diversion. Please be careful crossing the arched canal bridge at Hazelhatch.
POINTS OF INTEREST & DISTANCES
Arthur's Way is a heritage trail across northeast County Kildare that follows in the footsteps of Arthur Guinness. In less than 20 km, it links many of the historic sites associated with Ireland's most famous brewers, the Guinness family. Visitors are invited to explore Celbridge - where Arthur spent his childhood, Leixlip - the site of his first brewery, and Oughterard cemetery - Arthur's final resting place near his ancestral home.
The trail rises gently from the confluence of the Liffey and Rye rivers at Leixlip to the Palladian Castletown House estate and onto Celbridge. It then departs the Liffey Valley to join the Grand Canal at Hazelhatch. The towpath guides visitors past beautiful flora and fauna and the enchanting Lyons Estate. At Ardclough, the route finally turns for Oughterard
STAGE 1: Arthur Guinness Square, Leixlip, towards Barnhall and Castletown House
STAGE 2: Celbridge Main Street, Hazelhatch Station and The Grand Canal
STAGE 3: The Grand Canal towpath, Aylmer's Bridge and Lyons Estate
STAGE 4: Henry Bridge at Ardclough, Boston Hill and Oughterard Cemetery
[Photo captions, counterclockwise from top left, read]
• Top: Celbridge Main Street in the late 19th century. The malting house occupied the first two houses on the left. Compare it with the modern version (below) from 2014; many features still remain
• Left: Castletown House gate lodge, designed by English garden designer Batty Langley (1696-1751)
• Left: No 22 Main Street, the original home of Conolly's agent George Finey, was occupied for a time by Richard Guinness and family
• The Manor Mills, originally powered by water diverted from the Liffey, dominates the easterly approach to town
• Left: Arthur Guinness once more surveys Celbridge Main Street, courtesy of a statue in bronze by local sculptor, Jarlath Daly
• Castletown House, built between 1722 and 1729, is one of the finest examples of its kind in Europe
• Oakley House, built in 1724 for Bishop Arthur Price
Location. 53° 20.444′ N, 6° 32.248′ W. Marker is in Celbridge, Leinster, in County Kildare. Marker is on Main Street (Leinster Route R405) just west of Maynooth Road (Leinster Route R405), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Celbridge, Leinster W23 C2N4, Ireland. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kildrought House (within shouting distance of this marker); Sir Gerald Dease, K.C.V.O. (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); Edward Bridgeman (about 150 meters away); St Patrick's Church, Celbridge (about 150 meters away); Celbridge Union Workhouse Cemetery Gate (approx. half a kilometer away); Celbridge Abbey (approx. half a kilometer away); Celbridge Union Workhouse Cemetery (approx. half a kilometer away); A Brief History of Celbridge Poor Law Union (approx. half a kilometer away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Celbridge.
Also see . . .
1. Arthur's Way. (Submitted on December 3, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Castletown House. (Submitted on December 3, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Celbridge Mill Community Centre History. (Submitted on December 3, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Parks & Recreational Areas • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Arthur's Way / Cosán Arthur.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 4, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 3, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 3, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 3, 4. submitted on December 4, 2019, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.