Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Lorain in Lorain County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Lorain West Breakwater Lighthouse / Saving the Lorain Lighthouse

 
 
Lorain West Breakwater Lighthouse side of marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 24, 2019
1. Lorain West Breakwater Lighthouse side of marker
Inscription.  On October 22, 1913, Congress appropriated $35,000 to build a light- and-fog station at Lorain harbor. Construction began after plans were approved in 1916. The concrete structure was finished and light placed in service in 1917, but the station was not completed until 1919. The lighthouse’s foundation is comprised of a wooden crib and boxes filled with stone. The lighthouse consists of a basement and three floors, topped by a lantern room. Like others, this lighthouse had its own identifying signals, namely, the duration of the fog horn’s blast and the rotation and duration of the light. A fourth order Fresnel lens was installed in 1919 and lit with an incandescent oil vapor lamp. The lamp was converted to electric power in 1932. The lighthouse was manned by the U.S. Lighthouse Service, a civilian organization, until the U.S. Coast Guard took control of all U.S. lighthouses in 1939.

The Coast Guard decommissioned the lighthouse in 1965 and it was scheduled for demolition later that year. Inclement weather, a concerned-citizens group, and subsequent community interest convinced the Coast Guard to retain the historic lighthouse
Saving the Lorain Lighthouse side of marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 24, 2019
2. Saving the Lorain Lighthouse side of marker
in 1966. During the following decade, a Save-the-Lighthouse committee led a campaign to preserve the structure. The Lorain County Historical Society acquired the lighthouse in 1977 and it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. In 1990 the lighthouse became the property of the Lorain Lighthouse Foundation, formerly the Port of Lorain Foundation. Among those providing support to the Foundation in 1991 were pupils from 24 of the city’s public and private schools. Students collected 2,861 pounds of pennies valued at $5,000.05. Since the lighthouse was saved in the mid-1960’s, community volunteers have worked diligently to preserve Lorain’s “Jewel of the Port.”
 
Erected 2017 by Lorain Lighthouse Foundation, Inc., and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 32-47.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 28.48′ N, 82° 10.636′ W. Marker is in Lorain, Ohio, in Lorain County. Marker is on Lakeside Landing’s Mile Long Pier’s parking lot north of Lakeside Avenue and Colorado Avenue, on the left when traveling north. It is across from F Dock. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lorain OH 44052, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as
Lorain West Breakwater Lighthouse / Saving the Lorain Lighthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 24, 2019
3. Lorain West Breakwater Lighthouse / Saving the Lorain Lighthouse Marker
the crow flies. Founding of Lorain, Ohio (approx. ¼ mile away); Trading Post (approx. ¼ mile away); Lorain Station 100 (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Lorain Tornado, 1924 (approx. half a mile away); Shipbuilding (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lakeview Park War Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles away); Quincy A. Gillmore (approx. 1.3 miles away); General Quincy Adams Gillmore (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lorain.
 
Also see . . .  PDF file: The History of the Lorain Lighthouse, 1917–2017. 37 page illustrated document compiled by Valerie Smith and published by the Lorain Public Library System. Excerpt:
The massive, three-story lighthouse was designed to withstand the tempestuous weather of Lake Erie. From the northeast corner of the structure, a square tower, topped by a lantern room, extends just above the pitched roof. The basement of the lighthouse contains a cistern, coal bin, and storage space. A machinery room, bathroom, and tool room are located on the first floor. An office/day room, galley (kitchen) with pantry, bunkroom and air tanks (for the foghorns) are located on the second floor. The third floor contains the diaphones with a timing device, spare parts locker, foghorn, 700-gallon water tank and stairs leading to the lantern room. [1919] was
View of the Lighthouse from the Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 24, 2019
4. View of the Lighthouse from the Marker
the first year that light keepers actually lived on the premises.
(Submitted on December 6, 2019.) 
 
Categories. Waterways & Vessels
 
Lorain Breakwaters and Harbor Entrance image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 24, 2019
5. Lorain Breakwaters and Harbor Entrance
The old lighthouse is on the end of the west breakwater, and its 1965 replacement is on western end of the outer breakwater.
Lorain Harbor West Breakwater Lighthouse image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, August 24, 2019
6. Lorain Harbor West Breakwater Lighthouse
Photographed from across the harbor from the end of Lakeside Landing’s Mile Long Pier
 

More. Search the internet for Lorain West Breakwater Lighthouse / Saving the Lorain Lighthouse.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 6, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 6, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 51 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 6, 2019, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement