Panaca Ward Chapel
Oldest building in Lincoln County, constructed in 1867-1868 of adobe from the swamps west of town.
Built as a Mormon chapel, used also as a school and recreation hall, it is typical of the development in small Mormon pioneer communities in the intermountain west during the mid 1800s.
Erected 1973 by Nevada State Park System. (Marker Number 182.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education • Parks & Recreational Areas • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 37° 47.45′ N, 114° 23.25′ W. Marker is in Panaca, Nevada, in Lincoln County. Marker is on 4th Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Panaca NV 89042, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Panaca Mercantile (within shouting distance of this marker); Panaca (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Panaca Spring (approx. 0.4 miles away); Clover Valley Mountains Steam Engine/Sawmill
Also see . . . New Amended Text for Marker. The Nevada State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) recently updated the text of the roughly 260 state historical markers in Nevada. The Nevada SHPO placed the amended text of each individual marker on its website and will change the actual markers in the field as funding allows. Minor changes have been made to the marker for grammar and readability. The link will take you to the Nevada SHPO page for the marker with the amended text. (Submitted on November 12, 2013, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 10, 2008, by Karen Key of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 965 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 10, 2008, by Karen Key of Sacramento, California.