Ste. Genevieve in Ste. Genevieve County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
A vivid reminder of claims of France and Spain to the Mississippi Valley and of the westward expansion of the United States.
Here were established a Catholic church, 1749; first Masonic lodge west of river, 1807; first academy chartered in Missouri, 1808; first U.S. recruiting office west of river, 1812.
Here are the Grand Champ of the French agricultural plots, broken by Indian mounds; the Three Notch Road, oldest in Missouri; the relic of El Camino Real or King's Highway, 1789; the State's oldest cemetery, 1787; the impressive Catholic church, 1882; the Price House, ca.1800, claimed to be first of brick west of the Mississippi; the home of Lewis F. Linn, "Model Senator from Missouri," 1833-1843.
Ornithologist John James Audubon was in a merchandising partnership here with Ferdinand Rozier, 1811.
Through the years, with the coming of Americans and a large German immigration, Ste. Genevieve has
Among many fine examples of early architecture are the Louis Bolduc House, one of oldest in the Valley; Jean Baptiste Valle House, home of last Spanish commandant; Jean Bequet-Ribault House with unusual wall construction; Janis-Ziegler House, once the Green Tree Tavern; St. Gemme Beauvais House, associated with Henri M. Breckenridge; and Guibourd House with fine casement windows.
It is of interest that here once lived U.S. Senators Henry Dodge, Wis.; Augustus C. Dodge and George W. Jones, Iowa; Lewis V. Bogy and Lewis F. Linn, Mo.; and Missouri's first congressman, John Scott.
Ste. Genevieve, seat of government for one of the 5 Spanish districts, later one of Missouri's first 5 counties, is important as a source of golden marble and an outstanding producer of quality lime.
A town museum relates to early settlement.
Erected 1953 by State Historical Society of Missouri and State Highway Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Missouri, State Historical Society of marker series.
Location. 37° 58.744′ N, 90° 2.639′ W. Marker is in Ste. Genevieve, Missouri, in Ste. Genevieve Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 155 Market St, Sainte Genevieve MO 63670, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Louis Bolduc House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Merchants Bank / Ste. Genevieve Savings Bank (about 400 feet away); First Brick House West of Mississippi River (about 600 feet away); El Camino Real (about 700 feet away); Welcome to Sainte Genevieve Parish (approx. 0.2 miles away); Illinois in the American Revolution (approx. 8.1 miles away in Illinois); The Liberty Bell of the West (approx. 8.1 miles away in Illinois); Lewis and Clark in Kaskaskia (approx. 8.1 miles away in Illinois). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ste. Genevieve.
Also see . . .
1. Ste. Genevieve, Missouri on Wikipedia. Wikipedia page for the historic village, which contains more information and history. (Submitted on December 12, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.)
2. Ste. Genevieve Tourism. A tourist's guide to Ste. Genevieve, which contains recommended places to visit, including historical sites (most of which are mentioned on the marker). (Submitted on December 12, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Parks & Recreational Areas • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Sainte Genevieve.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 22, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 12, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 44 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 12, 2019, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.