Sacramento in Sacramento County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
New Helvetia Cemetery
Erected 1937 by Sutter Parlor No. 111 Native Daughters of the Golden West. Plaque donated by Sadie Winn Brainard. (Marker Number 592.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the California Historical Landmark, and the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 38° 34.373′ N, 121° 27.901′ W. Marker is in Sacramento, California, in Sacramento County. Marker is at the intersection of Alhambra Boulevard and "J" Street, on the right when traveling north on Alhambra Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sacramento CA 95816, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. McKinley Rose Garden (approx. ¼ mile away); William McKinley Park (approx. ¼ mile away); General John A. Sutter (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Coloma Road (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sutter's Fort Solander's (approx. 0.3 miles away); California State Indian Museum (approx. 0.4 miles away); General Albert M. Winn (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sacramento.
Regarding New Helvetia Cemetery. All graves were relocated in the 1950s.
This site is a California Registered Historical Landmark (No. 592)
1. New Helvetia Cemetery
Prior to the establishment of the City Cemetery in 1849, burials were conducted in an area not far from Sutter's Fort, but its lower elevation and closeness to the American River caused it to flood frequently. These old grounds, however, continued as a privately operated cemetery, named New Helvetia, for some twenty-five years before reverting to the city. Over the years, tombstones and monuments were removed, vandalized and even stolen. Eventually, in the 1950s, the city authorized the construction of Sutter Junior High School (now Sutter Middle School) on the site – Alhambra Boulevard to 32nd Street, I to J Streets. A historical marker can be found at the edge of the sidewalk along Alhambra Boulevard.
Source: Sacramento City Cemetery Commission
— Submitted September 27, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
2. New Helvetia Cemetery Timeline
*1839-1849 Burials within grounds outside Sutter's Fort
*1845 First Internemt in Sutter Fort Burying Ground
*1849 Sutter's Burial Ground dedicated. Burials shallow, marked by wooden boards.
*1849 Capt. John A. Sutter donated ten acres of land.
*1850 Twenty acres in size, renamed New Helvetia Cemetery. Flooded in January, no burials until summer when Mayor Bigelow and Sheriff McKinney were buried.
*1850-1857 No burials due to recurrent flooding...burials mainly at City Cemetery.
*1856 (Jan.) Effort to have bodies moved to City Cemetery.
*1856 (Oct.) Title changed from estate of Frierson to Dr. R.H. McDonald ($900 for ten acre lot) and became active cemetery again.
*1857 Purchased by J.W. Reeves, an undertaker. After his death owned by Mrs. Reeves and maintained by her father, Mr. Mellon, as Superintendent.
*1857 (Oct.) City took title after agreement with Reeves family on maintenance of the family tomb.
*1912 Grounds closed to burials.
*1954 Offered to school district by City Council as a site for Sutter Middle School.
*1955 (Oct 12)-1956 (Mar.27) 5,235 bodies exhumed.
*1989 Monument erected and dedicated by Old City Cemetery Committee and East Lawn Memorial Parks & Mortuaries.
*1990 Monument erected by Japanese Community for the more than 600 Japanese moved.
*1995 Monument to Sheriff McKinney by the Sacramento Sheriff's Dept.
*1999 Monument to Dr. Benjamin F. Pendery by Sacramento-El Dorado Medical Society.
*2003 Monument to indigents erected by the Sacramento County Cemetery Advisory Commission.
— Submitted May 12, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for New Helvetia Cemetery.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2019. This page originally submitted on September 27, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 3,005 times since then and 12 times this year. Last updated on December 12, 2019, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 27, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 3. submitted on March 13, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 4. submitted on June 3, 2012, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.