Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Built ca. 1828, expanded 1856 and 1886
In 1884 the couple's son Channing sold the residence and thirty-six acres to a newly formed Confederate veterans' organization to build the R.E. Lee Camp Confederate Soldiers' Home. Two years later, the building—renamed Fleming Hall—gained a third floor and towering belvedere. For the next half century, it housed the institution's administration offices and war museum.
After the soldiers' home closed, the Commonwealth of Virginia granted use of the building to the Virginia Institute for Scientific Research (1949- 1963) and to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (1964-present), which gained ownership in 1993. Following extensive renovations in 2017, it incorporates
In the first half of the 20th century, parcels of land at the soldiers' home were granted to erect the Confederate Memorial Institute (1921, "Battle Abbey," later absorbed by the Virginia Historical Society); Home for Confederate Women (1932); Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (1936); and headquarters of the United Daughters of the Confederacy (1957). In 1934, the state named the grounds the R.E. Lee Camp Confederate Memorial Park—a designation that remains today.
Erected 2011 by Virginia Museum of Fine Arts.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • War, US Civil.
Location. 37° 33.42′ N, 77° 28.474′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker can be reached from North Arthur Ashe Boulevard (Virginia Route 161) south of Stuart Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Located north of the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 North Arthur Ashe Boulevard, Richmond VA 23221, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Robinson House (a few steps from this marker); Rumors of War (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Soldiers' Home (about 400 feet away, measured Residential Life at R. E. Lee Camp, No.1 (about 400 feet away); The Home For Needy Confederate Women (about 400 feet away); Confederate Memorial Chapel (about 600 feet away); Virginia Historical Society (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Confederate Memorial Chapel (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Also see . . . Old Marker at this Location. This marker replaced an older one at this location also titled “Robinson House” (Submitted on December 30, 2019.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 27, 2019, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 119 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 27, 2019, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 19, 2011. 5. submitted on December 27, 2019, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.