Fort McKavett in Menard County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Officer-of-the-day station and sentry post on north road to Fort Concho. Constructed 1852, by 8th Infantry; Fort McKavett provided protection for settlers from Indians. Guadalupe River cypress with native limestone.
Erected 1968 by Texas State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4642.)
Location. Marker has been permanently removed. It was located near 30° 49.668′ N, 100° 6.374′ W. Marker was in Fort McKavett, Texas, in Menard County. Marker was on Ranch to Market Road 864, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 7066 FM 864, Fort Mc Kavett TX 76841, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 2 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Site of Fort McKavett (approx. 0.3 miles away); Colonel Black Ranch House (approx. 1½ miles away).
More about this marker. Per conversation with the staff at Fort McKavett, this marker was permanently removed in the 1970s when the site was acquired by the State. The marker was lost for many years, but was recently rediscovered and has been placed in storage at the site's archives. There are presently no plans to reattach the marker to the Sentry Building. The marker text on this page was retrieved from the Texas Historical Commission Atlas.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Wars, US Indian •
More. Search the internet for Sentry Building.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 29, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 29, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 40 times since then and 2 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on December 29, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.