Junction in Kimble County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
On September 1, 1922, Alberto Martinez and Romauldo Sanchez purchased land from Oren C. Reid. Along with additional land from Antonio Medina, this neighborhood became part of Junction in 1927. On November 13, 1945 Julian Pompa presented the city with an area of lots and accompanying streets located east of the Old Spanish Trail.
Little Mexico did not receive amenities from the city until after World War II continuing into 1984. School buses did not serve Little Mexico and students walked several miles crossing the South Llano River Bridge to attend school. Two churches located in Junction, St. Theresa Catholic Church and the Mexican Baptist Mission, served the Hispanic community, but in 1968 the mission was razed for construction of Interstate Highway
Early Hispanic residents did not have a cemetery and most were buried on area ranches. In 1920 land for a cemetery was purchased from Tomas Perez. George Willis was among those who collected the money to pay for the land. His wife, Julia Valdez Willis, was the first to be buried at the new cemetery named Campo Santo. Two veterans from World War I are buried in the cemetery along with veterans from World War II, the Korean Conflict and Vietnam. Even though development of Interstate Highway 10 displaced many residents, the community continues to thrive and preserve its unique history and culture.
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16258.)
Location. 30° 29.716′ N, 99° 44.936′ W. Marker is in Junction, Texas, in Kimble County. Marker is on Morales Street north of Gonzales Street, on the left when traveling north. Marker is located at the entrance to the Little Mexico Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Junction TX 76849, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Oliver Pecan (approx. 0.9 miles away); City of Junction (approx. 1.1 miles away); Kimble County (approx. 1.1 miles away); Fight of Sheriff’s Posse with Cattle Rustlers (approx. 1.1 miles away); First Post Office (approx. 1.1 miles away); Kimble County Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away); Colonel John Griffith (approx. 1.1 miles away); Coke R. Stevenson (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Junction.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Hispanic Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Little Mexico.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 30, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 30, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 39 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 30, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.