St. Marys in Camden County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Pecan Trees Grown Here About 1840
Grown from pecan nuts found floating at sea by Capt. Samuel F. Flood and planted by his wife, nee Rebecca Grovenstine, on Block 47.
The remainder of these nuts were planted by St. Joseph Sebastian Arnow in the north half of Block 26.
These first plantings produced large and heavy-bearing trees, as did their nuts and shoots in turn. Taken from St. Marys to distant points throughout southeastern states they became famous before the Texas pecan was generally known.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Society. (Marker Number 020-4.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission, and the Historic Trees marker series.
Location. 30° 43.371′ N, 81° 32.758′ W. Marker is in St. Marys, Georgia, in Camden County. Marker is on East Weed Street 0 miles east of Ready Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Marys GA 31558, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Clark-Bessant House (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Marys Methodist Church Established 1799-1800 (about 700 feet away); George Washington Oak Tree Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Washington Pump & Oak (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Captain Lemuel Johnson Memorial and Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); City of St. Marys (approx. ¼ mile away); Spanish Occupation of Georgia (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Marys.
Categories. • Agriculture • Antebellum South, US • Horticulture & Forestry •
More. Search the internet for First Pecan Trees Grown Here About 1840.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 23, 2019. This page originally submitted on December 13, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,863 times since then and 5 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on December 13, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?