Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Collinsville in Madison County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The D.D. Collins House

 
 
The D.D. Collins House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, December 22, 2019
1. The D.D. Collins House Marker
Inscription.  Built circa 1845 by Daniel Dove Collins (1814-1892) for his bride Elizabeth M. Anderson (1826-1902), the Collins House is an example of Greek revival architecture. As the first president of the Collinsville village board, Collins held board meetings in his home. He served as county judge, built the area's first plank toll roads and was a highway commissioner.

The house, donated to the city by Irving Dilliard, was originally located at Main and Center Streets, and moved in the 1890s, and in 2015. The Historic Preservation Commission and the city coordinated the restoration. The house was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2002.
 
Erected 2019 by The City of Collinsville, The Friends of the D. D. Collins House, and The Illinois State Historical Society.
 
Location. 38° 40.048′ N, 89° 59.655′ W. Marker is in Collinsville, Illinois, in Madison County. Marker is on West Main Street just east of North Combs Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Marker is in front of the D.D. Collins House. West
The D.D. Collins House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, December 22, 2019
2. The D.D. Collins House Marker
Marker as shown in front of the house
Main Street is a one-way street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 703 West Main Street, Collinsville IL 62234, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Collinsville (within shouting distance of this marker); The Blum House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stockade (approx. 3 miles away); Cahokia (approx. 3 miles away); Cahokia Mounds (approx. 3.6 miles away); Monks Mound (approx. 3.7 miles away); Grand Plaza (approx. 3.7 miles away); Mound 72 (approx. 3.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Collinsville.
 
More about this marker. Marker was dedicated on November 23, 2019. Mary Sue Schusky, daughter of Irving Dilliard (mentioned on the marker), was present at the ceremony.
 
Also see . . .
1. Friends of the D.D. Collins House website. The historical group behind the restoration of the Collins house. This has a lot of information about the history about the D.D. Collins House, as well as about Collins himself. (Submitted on January 1, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.) 

2. Daniel Dove Collins on Wikipedia. Wikipedia page for the historic house (Submitted on January 1, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.) 
 
Categories. ArchitectureRoads & Vehicles
 
National Register of Historic Places plaque image. Click for full size.
By Jason Voigt, December 22, 2019
3. National Register of Historic Places plaque
Placed in front of the house
 

More. Search the internet for The D.D. Collins House.
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 1, 2020. This page originally submitted on January 1, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 1, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement