Collinsville in Madison County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Main Street of America
Now imagine this scene repeated in cities from Cumberland, Md., to East St. Louis, Ill. Collinsville's Main Street is part of the National Road, a 19th-century highway that linked the East Coast to the Mississippi River. The road connected Collinsville to river ports, county seats, and state capitals.
While the National Road has been eclipsed by modern highways and interstates, Collinsville's Main Street still serves as a corridor for art, commerce, and community.
In 1891, Collinsville's city countil approved a proposal for a railway connecting Main Street to commercial districts in neighboring cities. By 1900, streetcars on the Collinsville, Caseyville and East St. Louis Electric lines circulated between Madison and St. Clair counties.
By 1922, coal miners and their families made up nearly a third of Collinsville's 9,800 residents. Main Street merchants prospered, providing goods and services to a growing population employed by the mines and outgrowth industries.
Grosze Bros. Quality Shop operated at 304 West Main from about 1905 to 1915. The store sold items ranging from groceries to gasoline.
Thomas A. Riggins sold groceries on Main Street for close to 40 years.
A Road of Dirt, Rock, And Dreams
In 1806, President Thomas Jefferson signed legislation to provide federal funding for a National Road. Surveyed from Cumberland, Md., to the Mississippi River, the National Road was a highway for pioneers eager to settle the West.
Today, as US 40, the National Road in Illinois spans 164 miles. From Indiana to East St. Louis, you can still see how the ambitions and accomplishments of early Illinois immigrants shaped our communities. You'll find their influence in our art and architecture, our industry and agriculture, and in our way of life. Enjoy your time on the Road.
Erected by National Road Association of Illinois.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Parks & Recreational Areas • Railroads & Streetcars • Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the The Historic National Road series list.
Location. 38° 40.055′ N, 89° 59.673′ W. Marker is in Collinsville, Illinois, in Madison County. Marker is on North Combs Avenue just north of West Main Street, on the left when traveling south. Marker is located at Collins Park, which is behind the D.D. Collins House. It can be accessed from a parking lot from West Clay Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 703 West Main St, Collinsville IL 62234, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The D.D. Collins House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Blum House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The 1960's Additions to the Library Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Pan (approx. ¼ mile away); In Memoriam (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named In Memoriam (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named In Memoriam (approx. ¼ mile away); The Dorris Fountain (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Collinsville.
Also see . . . Collinsville & Fairmont City. From the Illinois National Road's YouTube channel, this is a short video that talks about the two cities that were on the Historic National Road. Collinsville is mentioned first. (Submitted on January 2, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 2, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 173 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 2, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.