Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
West Sacramento in Yolo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Early Settlement

West Sacramento River Walk

 
 
Early Settlement Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 29, 2015
1. Early Settlement Marker
Inscription.  
RANCHO DE NUEVA FLANDRIA,

The Beginning of
EARLY SETTLEMENT

In 1843 or 1844, the Flemish Jan Lows de Swart, also known as John Schwartz, became one of the earliest known settlers in the West Sacramento area. He built a shack on the west side of the Sacramento River. It was 20 feet by 12 feet, of light wood frame with tule shingles, and was located six miles south of the confluence of the American River. With the help of John Sutter, Swart was successful in his application to the Mexican Governor Manuel Micheltorena for a land grant. This land was located on the west bank of the Sacramento River, now West Sacramento. It was one mile wide and twenty miles long. Mr. Swart named this land (13,000 acres) Nueva Flandria in honor of his homeland.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1843.
 
Location. 38° 35.473′ N, 121° 30.536′ W. Marker is in West Sacramento, California, in Yolo County. Marker can be reached from County Road 136. Touch for map. Marker is at or
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
near this postal address: 151 County Road 136, West Sacramento CA 95605, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Township of Washington (within shouting distance of this marker); Yolo County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Prisoner of the River (approx. half a mile away); 1854 Flagpole (approx. half a mile away); 1854 City Hall and Waterworks (approx. half a mile away); Sacramento Water Works (approx. half a mile away); Influences on the River (approx. half a mile away); Sacramento Skyline (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Sacramento.
 
More about this marker. The marker is located in the northeast area of the parking lot of the Broderick boat launching facility.
 
Also see . . .  Rancho Nueva Flandria (Wikipedia). (Submitted on January 9, 2020.)
 
Early Settlement Marker - wide view image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 29, 2015
2. Early Settlement Marker - wide view
Marker inset: map of Nueva Flandria land grant image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Andrew Ruppenstein, October 29, 2015
3. Marker inset: map of Nueva Flandria land grant
The marker site on this map would be on the left side of the river towards the very top, just opposite where the American River joins the Sacramento River.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 9, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. This page has been viewed 252 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 9, 2020, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=144278

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2024