Oberlin in Lorain County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Even though H.B. Allen’s design was not fully implemented, Westwood Cemetery reflects the basic goal of the Rural Cemetery Movement; that is, to provide a serene, park-like setting in which the living could enjoy a respite from daily pressures and become informed and inspired by memorials to the dead. The grave markers in Westwood bear testimony to Oberlin’s early and continued commitment to major national
Erected 2004 by City of Oberlin, Oberlin Heritage Center / O.H.I.O., and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 47-23.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 41° 17.219′ N, 82° 13.96′ W. Marker is in Oberlin, Ohio, in Lorain County. Marker is on Morgan Street 0.7 miles west of South Professor Street, on the right when traveling west. It is just outside the entrance to the cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oberlin OH 44074, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Charles M. Hall and Frank M. Jewett (approx. 0.7 miles away); Welcome to Oberlin Heritage Center (approx. 0.7 miles away); Willard Van Orman Quine (approx. 0.7 miles away); Oberlin College and Community / Abolitionism in Oberlin (approx. ¾ mile away); Downtown Oberlin Historic District Oberlin and the Underground Railroad (approx. one mile away); Antoinette Brown Blackwell and First Church in Oberlin (approx. one mile away); The Burrell-King House (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oberlin.
Also see . . . Downtown Oberlin Walking Tour of Civil War Monuments - Westwood Cemetery. Excerpt:
On June 8, 1864, citizens and students gathered at the cemetery to help clear the heavily forested acreage. Women of the community served dinner to the workers at noon. On the motion of James Fitch, the Oberlin Sunday School Superintendent, the name “Westwood” was adopted. An area was chosen and set aside for a place of burial for Civil War soldiers. The area is called, “Soldier’s Rest.”(Submitted on January 9, 2020.)
The site was formally dedicated on July 16, 1864. The program included an address by Professor James Fairchild, music conducted by Professor C.H. Churchill and a prayer given by Oberlin College President Charles Finney. In 1944 The Cemetery Association transferred control of the cemetery to the City of Oberlin. In 1946 Frank Zavodsky became sexton for Westwood and re-mained such until his retirement in 1984. He was active and helpful in the affairs of Westwood until his death in 1997.
As in widespread 19th-century cemetery tradition, Westwood had a “Potter’s Field” (now indicated on cemetery maps as “OAP”) where poor residents whose families couldn’t
Today the cemetery is thought of as a memorial park. Many city residents walk, jog and bike the cemetery pathways. In comparison with other cemeteries, Westwood’s monuments are generally simple and plain; however, upon closer inspection, the inscriptions document who these people were that settled here during the formative decades.
The cemetery binds together Oberlin’s founding fathers with its city residents and whispers a story of a unique and profoundly dedicated town.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites •
More. Search the internet for Westwood Cemetery.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 9, 2020. This page originally submitted on January 9, 2020, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 9, 2020, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.