Near Chadds Ford in Chester County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
of Historic Places
Erected by Chadds Ford Historical Society.
Location. 39° 52.423′ N, 75° 37.54′ W. Marker is near Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania, in Chester County. Marker can be reached from Baltimore Pike, on the right when traveling east. Located to right of entry door landing. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 630 Baltimore Pike, Chadds Ford PA 19317, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named The Barns-Brinton House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battle of Brandywine (approx. 0.3 miles away); Isaac & Dinah Mendenhall (approx. 1.4 miles away); Gradient (Maple Tree), 2015 (approx. 1.7 miles away); Miss Gratz, 1984 (approx. 1.7 miles away); Helen, 1989 (approx. 1.7 miles away); Gradient (River Walk), 2015 (approx. 1.7 miles away); R. B. Monument, 2004 (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chadds Ford.
Also see . . .
1. Barns-Brinton House ~ Wikipedia. (Submitted on May 31, 2016, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
2. Chadds Ford Historical Society ~ Barns-Brinton House Page. (Submitted on May 31, 2016, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
3. Brandywine ~ Barns-Brinton House. (Submitted on May 31, 2016, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
1. Barns-Brinton House History
The Barns portion of the buildings name is for William Barns, a blacksmith who built this historic Flemish bond brick house in 1714 for use as a Tavern as well as his home. The foundation walls visible from the basement show several recesses that were used as cold rooms to keep food and beer from spoiling. Barns operated a portion of his house as an Inn and Tavern from 1722 until about 1729 or so. When William Barns died in 1731, he was purportedly deeply in debt to many of his neighbors.
After Barns death the property passed through a few owners until about 1753 when the house and some surrounding property was purchased by James Brinton, the Brinton portion of the buildings name. Brinton was the owner on September 11, 1777 when Hessian General Wilhelm von Knyphausen passed by en-route to Chadds Ford, at what would become the site of the Battle
— Submitted May 31, 2016, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Barns-Brinton House.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 15, 2020. This page originally submitted on May 31, 2016, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 384 times since then and 17 times this year. Last updated on January 11, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 31, 2016, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.