Minerva Park in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Minerva Amusement Park / The Green Line
Minerva Amusement Park
7-13-1895 to 7-27-1902
For seven glorious summers, from July 13, 1895 to July 27, 1902, laughter and gaiety rang forth from the first amusement park in Franklin County. With intoxicants banned, the Park was enjoyed by the “respectable” folk of the Gay '90s - the stone water tower/jail was quick to house any ruffian who threatened disharmony. Delighting young and old were the Zoological Garden, Ornithological Museum, the Scenic Railway roller coaster, Shoot the Chutes (the water slide of its day), swimming, boating, baseball, bowling, concerts, dancing, picnics, strolls in the cool woodlands, pony rides, fireworks, the orchestration replicating a 36-piece orchestra, grande vaudeville, and theater. Minerva Park's popularity faded with the opening of Olentangy Park, only 3 miles from downtown Columbus.
The Green Line
At an August 1891 public meeting, Westerville citizens voiced indignation at the failure of the Cleveland, Akron & Columbus Railway Co. to provide transportation for 400 passengers who had purchased tickets to the State Fair. The regular
Erected 2003 by Minerva Park Community Association, Village of Minerva Park, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 85-25.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Entertainment • Man-Made Features • Notable Places • Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list.
Location. 40° 4.629′ N, 82° 56.429′ W. Marker is in Minerva Park, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is on Minerva Lake Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbus OH 43231, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pioneer Cemetery Armed Forces Memorial (approx. 2.1 miles away); Phelps Acre Park (approx. 2.2 miles away); Blendon Township's Early Presbyterian Churches and Church Bell (approx. 2.2 miles away); Blendon Presbyterian Church (approx. 2.2 miles away); Edward Phelps (approx. 2.3 miles away); First Blendon Presbyterian Church (approx. 2.3 miles away); Blendon Central Cemetery (approx. 2.3 miles away); Blendon Township War Memorial (approx. 2.3 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 15, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,296 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 15, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.