Near Valley Springs in Calaveras County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Erected 1949 by The California Centennials Commission. Based furnished by Paloma Community Club, September 5, 1949. (Marker Number 295.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Landmarks • Natural Resources • Notable Events • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmarks series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1849.
Location. 38° 15.548′ N, 120° 45.693′ W. Marker is near Valley Springs, California, in Calaveras County. Marker is at the intersection of Paloma Road and Edster Street, on the right when traveling south on Paloma Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Valley Springs CA 95252, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Double SpringsDouble Springs (approx. 4.1 miles away); Calaveras County Courthouse and Leger Hotel (approx. 4.2 miles away); Mokelumne Hill (approx. 4.2 miles away); Emily Peek's Saloon (approx. 4.2 miles away); a different marker also named Mokelumne Hill (approx. 4.2 miles away); Chili Gulch (approx. 4˝ miles away); California Pioneers Reinterred from Poverty Bar Cemetery (approx. 4.7 miles away).
Regarding Paloma (Fosteria). This site has been designated as California Registered State Historical Landmark No. 295.
The town was originally named Fosteria for the original owner of the land, Benjamin Franklin Foster.
Additional keywords. Gold Rush
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2018. It was originally submitted on December 15, 2008, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 2,205 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 15, 2008, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.