Cumberland Township in Adams County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
2d Pennsylvania Cavalry
attached to Provost Guard,
The Regiment held this position July 3rd.
until the close of the day when it conducted
3000 prisoners to Westminster, Md. Detach-
ments served on other parts of the field
during the battle.
Re-enlisted Dec. 1863-Feb. 1864.
Consolidated with the
20th Pennsylvania Cavalry to form the
1st Provisional Pennsylvania
Cavalry, June 17th 1865.
Mustered out July 13th 1865.
Philadelphia, Lancaster, Centre,
Northampton, Crawford, Berks,
Tioga and Armstrong Counties.
2d. Bull Run. - Trevilian Station.
Chantilly. - Jerusalem Plank Road.
Gettysburg. - Malvern Hill.
Mine Run. - Deep Bottom.
Wilderness. - White Oak Swamp.
Todd's Tavern. - Reams' Station.
Yellow Tavern. - Poplar Spring Church.
Richmond Fortifications. - Wyatt's Farm.
Meadow Bridge. - Stoney Creek Station.
Hawes' Shop. - Boydton Road.
And other Battles.
Erected 1889 by Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is June 17, 1869.
Location. 39° 48.861′ N, 77° 14.02′ W. Marker is in Cumberland Township, Pennsylvania, in Adams County. Marker is on Taneytown Road (State Highway 134), on the right when traveling south. Located on a walking trail extending between Cemetery Ridge and Meade's Headquarters, in Gettysburg National Military Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gettysburg PA 17325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 10th New York Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Batteries F & K, Third U.S. Artillery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Eighth U.S. Infantry (about 300 feet away); Headquarters of Major General George G. Meade (about 400 feet away); Major General George Gordon Meade (about 400 feet away); Oneida New York Cavalry (about 400 feet away); Maj. Gen. George Gordon Meade (about 400 feet away); 114th Regiment Pennsylvania Infantry (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cumberland Township.
Also see . . . 2nd Pennsylvania Cavalry. A history of the Regiment. On July 3, 1863, the regiment was deployed behind (Submitted on December 15, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 15, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,131 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on December 15, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 8, 9. submitted on February 12, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.