Clemson in Pickens County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Old Stone Church
A Few of the People Interred Here
Buried within the cemetery grounds are people involved in the Indian campaigns of the late Colonial Period, soldiers and patriots of the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, the Indian/Creek War of 1815-16, the Civil War, and all major American wars.
The historic intent of some church elders has not always survived to the present. Turner Bynum, the loser in a famous antebellum duel between newspaper editors was denied burial within the graveyard -- being allowed instead to rest outside its walls. With the expansion of the cemetery over the years, he is now near the center.
Jane Lemant Walker
Jane Lemant Walker was born in Ireland. A teenager during the Revolutionary War, she served as a courier for General Thomas Sumter. Walker, a seamstress, carried messages in her double-heeled stockings.
according to a long told story, Eliza Huger, a member of a prominent Charleston family, moved to New Orleans. Even by the standards of that city, her actions were considered scandalous. The story tells that Eliza's
John Rusk and Mary Sterritt
Re-marking graves or having special programs to celebrate the life of a particular person buried in the cemetery is common. John Rusk, the builder of the Old Stone church, and his wife Mary Sterritt, were honored in 1936 with new tombstones erected by the State of Texas. This recognized the important role that Thomas Jefferson Ruck played in the history of that state.
Reverend Dr. Thomas Reece and Reverend James McElhenny
Representing the early Presbyterian ministers who served the Hopewell Congregation are the Reverend Dr. Thomas Reece and the Reverend James McElhenny.
General Andrew Pickens, an elder at Old Stone Church, was an Indian fighter and a noted militia leader during the Revolutionary War. He was promoted to the rank of Brigadier General for his role in the Battle of Cowpens. Following the war, he was a United States Commissioner to negotiate treaties with various Indian nations and served as a member of Congress. Pickens District (now Oconee and Pickens Counties) was named for him. Tories repeatedly harassed his wife, Rebecca Pickens, who is also interred in the cemetery.
Colonel Robert Anderson served under Pickens during the Revolution, was a Brigadier General in the state militia following the war, and was a member of the legislature and Lieutenant Governor of South Carolina. He held many other public appointments and served as an elder at the Old Stone Church. Anderson District (now county) was named for him.
One of the oldest graves is that of Osenappa, a Cherokee, who died in 1794. In addition to the marker, a cairn (piled stones) identifies the grave. He is the only Native American buried here. His role in this South Carolina frontier remains undiscovered.
Civil War Soldiers
Over 40 Civil War soldiers are found in the cemetery. Several are members of the Lewis family were in battles in Fredericksburg and Manassas. They are buried together under a unique mini-ball marker.
Erected by South Carolina Heritage Corridor.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Patriots & Patriotism • War of 1812 • War, US Civil • War, US Revolutionary • Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the South Carolina Heritage Corridor series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1812.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clemson SC 29631, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named The Old Stone Church (here, next to this marker); Old Stone Church Confederate Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Stone Church / Old Stone Church Graveyard (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Thomas Green Clemson Parkway (approx. 0.6 miles away); Blue Key National Honor Fraternity Gateway (approx. 0.7 miles away); "Widowmaker’s” Drill (approx. ¾ mile away); Hanover House (approx. ¾ mile away); a different marker also named Hanover House (approx. ¾ mile away); a different marker also named Hanover House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Log House (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clemson.
Also see . . .
1. Old Stone Church (Clemson). Old Stone Church is a church building built in 1802. (Submitted on December 16, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. Old Stone Church and Cemetery. The Old Stone Church is significant architecturally as a masonry adaptation of meeting house architecture and as a representative of the early pioneer church in South Carolina. (Submitted on December 16, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Sites Around Clemson: The Old Stone Church. Located off Highway 76 between Clemson and Pendleton, the Old Stone Church stands as one of the most interesting historical attractions in the Upstate. (Submitted on December 16, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. Old Stone Presbyterian Church Cemetery. It is estimated by Ramsay in his history of South Carolina (1808) that in 1755, there were not even 23 families settled between the Waxhaws on the Catawba River and Augusta on the Savannah River. (Submitted on December 16, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. About the Old Stone Church
Construction of Old Stone Church began in 1797 to replace a log meeting house which was burned. The natural fieldstone rectangular structures with medium gable roof was completed in 1802. Six bays deep with high fenestration, the windows are the size of its doorways. Flat arches with slight radiation of voussoirs are over doors and windows. Exterior stairs lead to slave gallery at rear of church.
Interior is simple, unornamented befitting the period; the wooden benches, raised wooden pulpit, pine floor, hand-hewn exposed beans evident in roof.
Statement of Significance: October
The first building having been destroyed by fire, a new church was built 1797-1802 by John Rusk.
Important politically and militarily for men of prominence instrumental in church's organization and buried in cemetery. Among these are: Revolutionary War Generals Andrew Pickens and Robert Anderson - principle founders and elders; Colonel Andrew Pickens (War of 1812) - elder, Governor of South Carolina.
In the area social/humanitarian, it is noteworthy for the Old Stone Church and Cemetery Commission, organized in the 1890s, which realized the importance of the building itself and its association with distinguished men in South Carolina history. A wall was put around graveyard and repairs made to preserve the old building which had not been used since the 1830s. This Commission remains active in maintaining the church and cemetery.
Importance in religion/philosophy stems from its use as a religious center; the Reverend Thomas Reese, distinguished scholar, patriot, and first South Carolina minister to receive the degree of Doctor of Divinity,
Significant architecturally as representative of the early pioneer church in South Carolina; masonry adaptation of meeting house architecture; built of local materials with outstanding exterior and interior masonry and woodwork craftsmanship. (Source: National Register nomination form.)
— Submitted July 4, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 14, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 15, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 3,169 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 15, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 5. submitted on December 16, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 6, 7, 8. submitted on December 15, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on December 16, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 13. submitted on December 15, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 14, 15, 16, 17. submitted on December 16, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 18. submitted on December 15, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 19. submitted on December 16, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 20. submitted on March 4, 2009, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.