Savannah in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Jewish Burial Ground
During the ill fated attempt of the French forces under Admiral Charles Henri, Comte d'Estaing, and the American forces under General Benjamin Lincoln, to recapture Savannah from the British, General Lincoln's Orders of the Day of October 8, 1779 stated that "The second place of rallying, or the first if the redoubt should not be carried, will be at the Jew's burying ground, where the reserve will be placed."
According to the account of Captain Antoine-Francoise Terance O'Conner, a military engineer serving with the French forces, on October 9, 1779, shortly after 4:00 A. M. "The reserve corps, commanded by M. le Vicomte de Noailles, advanced as far as an old Jewish cemetery, and we placed on its right and a little to the rear the four 4-pounders."
Erected by Georgia Historical Marker.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Savannah GA 31401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. De Lyon - De La Motta Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Central Of Georgia Railroad (approx. 0.2 miles away); Boiler Room (approx. 0.2 miles away); Planing Shed & Lumber Shed (approx. 0.2 miles away); Blacksmith Shop (approx. 0.2 miles away); Smokestack (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tender Frame Shop & Master Mechanic's Office (approx. 0.2 miles away); Storehouse (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Savannah.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Revolutionary •
More. Search the internet for Old Jewish Burial Ground.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,828 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 28, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on December 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.