Fernandina Beach in Nassau County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Fernandina Plaza Historic State Park
In 1811, the town of Fernandina was platted according to the Spanish Law of the Indies, which prescribed how the site for a Spanish settlement should be selected, and how the town should be laid out in classical grid form. This law also stated that there must be a means of fortification to protect the town and a centrally located plaza for use by all residents. You are standing on the site of the historic plaza grounds that once laid in front of the Spanish Fort.
Part of the armament of Fort San Carlos included cannons like this one before you. These iron, 6-pound cannons were used by the Spanish, English and French. At just over 6 feet long and weighing in at over 1200 pounds, it had the ability to fire a 6-pound solid ball or 6-pound exploding shell at a range of 1600 yards using a 1.5 pound cannon powder charge. This distance is well within the range of McClure’s Hill to the southeast, which cannons like this fired upon during the Battle of Amelia in 1817. They were also used to protect the harbor and inlet from invaders.
The cannon required a gun crew of six men and could be loaded in about 3.5 - 4 minutes. This
Erected by WestRock, Friends of Fort Clinch and Florida State Parks.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Forts and Castles • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1811.
Location. 30° 41.321′ N, 81° 27.411′ W. Marker is in Fernandina Beach, Florida, in Nassau County. Marker is at the intersection of Estrada Street and White Street, on the right when traveling south on Estrada Street. Marker located within the Fernandina Plaza Historic State Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 715 San Fernando St, Fernandina Beach FL 32034, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Shipwreck, Slavery and Survival (here, next to this marker); Fort Clinch Military Road (here, next to this marker); The Plaza (a few steps from this marker); The UNESCO Slave Route Project: Resistance, Liberty, Heritage (a few steps from this marker); Plaza San Carlos (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort San CarlosOld Town (approx. ¼ mile away); McClure's Hill (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fernandina Beach.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 25, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 211 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 25, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.