Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Millwood in Clarke County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Clark County / Fauquier County

 
 
East Facing (Clark County) Side image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, June 22, 2007
1. East Facing (Clark County) Side
Inscription.  
Clark County. Area 171 square miles. Formed in 1836 from Frederick and added to from Warren. Named for George Rogers Clark, conqueror of the northwest. Lord Fairfax and General Daniel Morgan, revolutionary hero, lived in this county.

Fauquier County. Area 666 square miles. Formed in 1759 from Prince William, and named for Francis Fauquier, governor of Virginia, 1758-1768. Chief Justice John Marshall was born in this county.
 
Erected 1928 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number Z-120.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraPolitical Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1836.
 
Location. 39° 0.829′ N, 77° 57.797′ W. Marker is in Millwood, Virginia, in Clarke County. Marker is on John Mosby Highway (U.S. 50), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Millwood VA 22646, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
5 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ashby’s Gap (approx. 0.3 miles away); Jackson’s Bivouac (approx. 0.9 miles away); Mount Bleak Farm (approx. 1½ miles away); Mt. Carmel Fight (approx. 1.6 miles away); Fight at Berry's Ferry (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Millwood.
 
More about this marker. Officially Clarke County is spelled with an ending “e.” This 1928 marker drops the “e” as the accepted spelling of George Rogers Clark’s name. Interestingly the markers on East-West roads (such as US 50 and 7) have dropped the “e”, while those on North-South roads have retained the “e”. Thanks to Mary Morris from the Clarke County Historical Association for the background information.
 
Also see . . .  Why there is an “e” in Clarke. Clarke County Historical Association Proceedings provide some background information on the “e” in this PDF. Refer to page 142 (page 131 in the original). Thanks to Mary Morris of the Clarke County Historical Association. (Submitted on June 28, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
West Facing (Fauquier County) Side image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, June 22, 2007
2. West Facing (Fauquier County) Side
The Marker is on a Cut in the Road Grade image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, June 22, 2007
3. The Marker is on a Cut in the Road Grade
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 26, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,528 times since then and 68 times this year. Last updated on June 28, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 26, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=1451

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 23, 2024