Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Delaplane in Fauquier County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

John Marshall's Leeds Manor Rural Historic District

 
 
John Marshall's Leeds Manor Rural Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Linda Walcroft, February 4, 2020
1. John Marshall's Leeds Manor Rural Historic District Marker
Inscription.  This historic district encompasses about 22,200 acres of the Northern Neck Proprietary, a vast region granted by the exiled King Charles II to seven supporters in 1649 and later inherited by Thomas, 6th Lord Fairfax. The Manor of Leeds, an area of more than 160,000 acres, was laid out in 1736 for Fairfax's personal use, and much of the historic district lies within its boundaries. Also within the district is The Hollow, the childhood home of U.S. Chief Justice John Marshall, built in the 1760s. In 1806 a Fairfax heir sold the Manor of Leeds to Marshall, his brother James, and two other men. John Marshall later divided his portion of the land among his sons and visited frequently.
 
Erected 2017 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number FF-13.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Colonial Era. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1649.
 
Location. 38° 53.503′ N, 77° 56.839′ W. Marker is near Delaplane, Virginia
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
, in Fauquier County. Marker is on Carrington Road (County Route 729) 0.8 miles south of John Marshall Highway (Virginia Route 55), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3459 Carrington Rd, Delaplane VA 20144, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Emmanuel Episcopal Church (approx. 2 miles away); Delaplane (approx. 2.1 miles away); Piedmont Station (approx. 2.1 miles away); Oak Hill (approx. 2.2 miles away); Brig. Gen. Turner Ashby, C.S.A. (approx. 2.8 miles away); Lee’s Bivouac, Gettysburg Campaign (approx. 2.8 miles away); The Hollow (approx. 3 miles away); The Episcopal Church of Leeds Parish (approx. 3.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Delaplane.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Leeds Manor Rural Historic District Marker on Carrington Road. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Linda Walcroft, February 4, 2020
2. Leeds Manor Rural Historic District Marker on Carrington Road.
Montana Farm (named on sign in foreground) is behind the marker. That house dates to about 1850.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 6, 2020, by Linda Walcroft of Woodstock, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,754 times since then and 504 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 6, 2020, by Linda Walcroft of Woodstock, Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=145187

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 22, 2024