Near Clarkesville in Habersham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Living & Learning In The Mountains
Habersham School Supt. Claude Purcell purchased the site from the state for a dollar and due to his foresight and with the support of President Roosevelt’s National Youth Administration, Habersham College opened in 1938. The coeducational vocational school closed when the NYA lost funding in 1943, in the midst of World War II.
In 1943, Georgia Legislature created the Vocational Division of the Dept. of Education which used the assets of Habersham College to open the first state ~ operated technical school, North Georgia Trade and Vocational School. In 1985, NGTVS became a part of the new State Board of Technical and Adult Education and today the name is
Erected 1993 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 068-11.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Education • Industry & Commerce • War, World II. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1906.
Location. 34° 38.336′ N, 83° 31.849′ W. Marker is near Clarkesville, Georgia, in Habersham County. Marker is on Georgia Route 197 0.1 miles south of Sutton Mill Road, on the right when traveling north. Marker is at the entrance to the North Georgia Technical Institute. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1500 Highway 197 North, Clarkesville GA 30523, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. De Soto (approx. 1.6 miles away); Clarkesville War Memorial (approx. 1.6 miles away); Habersham County (approx. 1.6 miles away); Grace Protestant Episcopal Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Toombs-Bleckley House (approx. 1.9 miles away); Summer Home of Joseph Habersham (approx. 2.4 miles away); The Unicoi Turnpike (approx. 3.1 miles away); Habersham Iron Works & Mfg. Co. (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clarkesville.
Also see . . . North Georgia Technical College from New Georgia Encyclopedia. (Submitted on December 22, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 18, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,103 times since then and 8 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on December 18, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?