Catonsville in Baltimore County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Robert and Jane Meyerhoff Chemistry Building
Robert and Jane Meyerhoff embarked on a partnership of philanthropy in 1945, creating a national legacy that spans the arts and sciences. Born in 1924, the Meyerhoffs matured during the Great Depression and World War II as members of a generation that believed in giving back to the community and country. The Baltimore natives have brought passion and dedication to their varied roles as real estate developer, thoroughbred horse breeders, art collectors, and advocates for education.
After serving in the war, Robert Meyerhoff, a civil engineer and graduate of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, returned home to join the family construction business. He later left to establish Hendersen-Webb, a construction and property management company known for creating
While the Meyerhoffs' contributions to education are many, perhaps the most significant is the Meyerhoff Scholars Program at UMBC, created in 1988. What began as an initiative to address the under-representation of African-American men in the sciences and engineering has evolved into a diverse program that now includes men and women from a range of backgrounds who share a dedication to advancing minorities in these fields. The program has received national acclaim for producing an outstanding number of high-achieving minority students in science and engineering and inspiring them to attain advanced degrees at the nation's most prestigious graduate and professional schools. The couple's deep personal interest and pride in the Meyerhoff Scholars have added a nurturing element that strengthens the experience.
The Robert and Jane Meyerhoff Chemistry Building was dedicated on October 21, 2005.
Erected by University of Maryland-Baltimore County.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Animals • Arts, Letters, Music • Charity & Public Work • Education • Industry & Commerce • Science & Medicine • War, World II. A significant historical date for this entry is October 21, 2005.
Location. 39° 15.262′ N, 76° 42.753′ W. Marker is in Catonsville, Maryland, in Baltimore County. Marker can be reached from Academic Row, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore MD 21250, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. George and Betsy Sherman Hall (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Janet and Walter Sondheim Hall (about 400 feet away); Joseph Beuys Tree Partnership (about 600 feet away); Site of Manual Labor School for Indigent Boys (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hilton (approx. 1.1 miles away); A Civil Rights Milestone (approx. 1.4 miles away); 6-Mile Marker on the National Road (approx. 1˝ miles away); World War II Marine Divisions Memorial (approx. 1˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Catonsville.
Credits. This page was last revised on February 8, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 8, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 81 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 8, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.