Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Newport in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Camp DuPont

 
 
Camp DuPont Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, December 27, 2008
1. Camp DuPont Marker
Inscription.  First established May, 1861. The Fourth Regiment Delaware Volunteer Infantry camped here June to October 1862, whence they moved to a camp of the same name near Kennett Pike. The remustered First Delaware Regiment camped here in early February 1864, following a 30-day furlough before returning to active service in Virginia. The camp was named to honor Rear Admiral Samuel F. DuPont.
 
Erected 1966 by Civil War Centennial Commission. (Marker Number NC-79.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: MilitaryWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1861.
 
Location. 39° 44.747′ N, 75° 38.606′ W. Marker is near Newport, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is at the intersection of Faulkland Road (Delaware Route 34) and W. Oakland Drive, on the left when traveling west on Faulkland Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wilmington DE 19808, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brandywine Springs (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fells Mill Historic District
Site of Camp DuPont image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, December 27, 2008
2. Site of Camp DuPont
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Greenbank Mill (approx. 0.7 miles away); How a Steam Locomotive Works (approx. Ύ mile away); What Is This? (approx. Ύ mile away); Wilmington & Western Railroad (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Lynching of George White (approx. 0.9 miles away); Former Site of the Delcastle Prison Farm (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 27, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,636 times since then and 81 times this year. Last updated on February 15, 2020, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 27, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=145423

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Dec. 3, 2022