Wabash in Wabash County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
First Electrically Lighted City
Erected 1966 by Indiana Sesquincentennial Commission. (Marker Number 85.1966.1.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Events. In addition, it is included in the Indiana Historical Bureau Markers series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 31, 1880.
Location. 40° 47.909′ N, 85° 49.261′ W. Marker is in Wabash, Indiana, in Wabash County. Marker is on Wabash Street near Hill Street. On the lawn of the Wabash County courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wabash IN 46992, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wabash County (Indiana) Honor Rolls (within shouting distance of this marker); Jimmy Daywalt (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Thomas F. Payne / Modoc (about 700 feet away); Brush Carbon Arc Light (about 800 feet Paradise Spring Treaty Ground (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wabash.
Also see . . . Wabash - First Electrically Lighted City. (Submitted on June 30, 2007.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 29, 2007, by M. Bowyer of Indianapolis, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,535 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 29, 2007, by M. Bowyer of Indianapolis, Indiana. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.