Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Union Springs in Cayuga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Ge-Wa-Ga

 
 
Ge-Wa-Ga Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Stoessel, February 23, 2020
1. Ge-Wa-Ga Marker
Inscription.  
A village of the Cayuga Nation, stood near this spot. It was occupied and destroyed by a detachment from the army of General John Sullivan, commanded by Lieut-Col. William Butler, which bivouacked here on the night of September 21, 1779, before proceeding to the capture and destruction of the main Cayuga villages at Great Gully about one and a half miles south of this place on the next day.
 
Erected 1929.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansWar, US Revolutionary. A significant historical date for this entry is September 21, 1779.
 
Location. 42° 50.568′ N, 76° 41.519′ W. Marker is in Union Springs, New York, in Cayuga County. Marker is on Cayuga Street (New York State Route 90) 0.1 miles north of Chapel Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 171 Cayuga Street, Union Springs NY 13160, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Frontenac Island (within shouting distance of this marker); 1840 Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Charles Courtney (about 500 feet away);
Ge-Wa-Ga Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Stoessel, February 23, 2020
2. Ge-Wa-Ga Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
Howland School (about 600 feet away); Mill Pond Nature Trail (about 800 feet away); Spring Mills (approx. 0.2 miles away); In Memory (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oakwood Seminary (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Union Springs.
 
More about this marker. Located in front of the Springport Free Library
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 25, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 116 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on February 25, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York.   2. submitted on February 26, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=145819

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 3, 2022