Sarasota in Sarasota County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Station
A 41-mile Tampa Southern line, "The Fort Ogden Extension," was constructed in 1925-1926 from Sarasota southeasterly to a junction at Southfort on the Lakeland-Naples line of the Atlantic Coast Line. A pair of daily passenger trains operated between Tampa-Sarasota-Fort Myers-Naples. The cars on these trains consisted of a dining car, coaches, Chicago-Fort Myers Pullman sleeper off The Dixie Limited, and New York-Naples Pullman sleeper off the Palmetto.
Timber, naval stores, citrus fruits, vegetables, and livestock moved on the new line to northern markets. Station names included Belspur (old Packinghouse Rd.), Palmersville, Honore, and Sidell. Adrian Honore, brother of Bertha Honore Palmer, was the major landowner along the line. The Palmer Growers Cooperative Packing House was located at Belspur.
In 1967, Atlantic Coast Line and Seaboard Air Line Railway merged as the Seaboard Coast Line. With the advent of AMTRAK on May 1, 1971, the West Coast Champion made its last run to Sarasota and Venice from Boston and New York. The depot was demolished in January 1986, just two years after it was placed
The Tampa Southern Railroad, an ACL subsidiary, entered Sarasota in May 1924. The first passenger train arrived in December 1924 at the freight and temporary passenger station north of Fruitville Road. Tracks were placed to serve the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus Winter Quarters in 1927 and Payne Terminal on Sarasota Bay in 1928.
Erected 2001 by Sarasota County Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Civil Rights • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 27° 20.2′ N, 82° 31.565′ W. Marker is in Sarasota, Florida, in Sarasota County. Marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 South School Ave, Sarasota FL 34237, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Payne Park (approx. ¼ mile away); Sarasota County Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); John Hamilton Gillespie (approx. ¼ mile away); Sarasota Terrace Hotel (approx. 0.3 miles away); Charles Ringling Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mable Ringling Memorial Fountain / Luke Wood Park (approx. 0.7 miles away); Smally, Donald J. P.E. (approx. 0.7 miles away); St. Martha Mission Church (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sarasota.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 3, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 282 times since then and 110 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 7, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 3, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.