Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Chillicothe in Ross County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Abrams' Big House

 
 
Abrams' Big House Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., December 21, 2008
1. Abrams' Big House Marker
Inscription.  With the Division Act of 1800, the U.S. Congress divided the Northwest Territory at a line essentially the present boundary of Indiana and Ohio. The Indiana Territory stood west of the line. The name Northwest Territory was retained for the land east of the line and Chillicothe became its capital. The legislature for the territory convened in Chillicothe in November 1800. Since there were no public buildings in which the legislature could meet, its session was held in a two-story log house that stood on this site called “Abrams' Big House.” It was so called for its owner, Basil Abrams. During the War of 1812, the building served as the barracks for the 19th U.S. Regiment of Infantry. Thereafter, it was known as the “old barracks” until it was razed circa 1840.
 
Erected 2003 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, The Chillicothe & Ross County 2003 Commission, The Ross County Historical Society, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 10-72.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics
Abrams' Big House Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., December 21, 2008
2. Abrams' Big House Marker
MilitaryNotable PlacesPatriots & PatriotismSettlements & SettlersWar of 1812. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list.
 
Location. 39° 20.047′ N, 82° 59.139′ W. Marker is in Chillicothe, Ohio, in Ross County. Marker is at the intersection of Walnut Street and 2nd Street, on the left when traveling north on Walnut Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chillicothe OH 45601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Court of Ross County (here, next to this marker); The Chillicothe Gazette (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Historic Site in Journalism (about 700 feet away); A Replica of Ohio's First Capitol (about 700 feet away); Quinn Chapel African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church (about 800 feet away); Donald E. McHenry (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons of Ohio (approx. 0.2 miles away); Court House Renovation (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chillicothe.
 
More about this marker. According to Ohio Historical Society numbering conventions, this marker should be numbered 10-71.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 23, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,064 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 23, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
May. 28, 2020