Alexander in Erath County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
This burial ground has served residents of southern Erath County since the late 1800s. At that time, the community of Alexander, platted by the Texas Central Railroad Company, was thriving. The community had received a post office in 1876, when it was named Harper's Mill (it was renamed Alexander in 1881), although settlers had lived in the area since before the Civil War. By the 1890s, Alexander had a number of businesses.
In the early 1880s, Confederate veteran Thomas Pinckney Tidwell, his wife Zera Ann (Passmore) Tidwell and other family members migrated from North Carolina to Texas. The Tidwells eventually settled in Alexander. Tidwell established this burial ground when a child of a Mexican family died and was not allowed burial in a local cemetery. Tidwell established a public burial ground open to area citizens regardless of religion or ethnic affiliation, and the Tidwell family donated an ornate cross to mark the child's burial site. However, the oldest dated grave is that of Sarah Ethetton (d. 1879), who was later reinterred in the cemetery shortly after its establishment.
Among the notable burials in Alexander
Historic Texas Cemetery - 2006
Marker is the property of the State of Texas
Erected 2006 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13940.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
Location. 32° 3.489′ N, 98° 12.841′ W. Marker is in Alexander, Texas, in Erath County. Marker is on County Highway 282 south of Highway 6, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dublin TX 76446, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pecan Cemetery (approx. 4.6 miles away); Pecan Cemetery Tabernacle (approx. 5½ miles away); Clairette Schoolhouse (approx. 5.7 miles away); Dr Pepper Texas (approx. 7.7 miles away); Dublin Dr Pepper Bottling Company (approx. 7.7 miles away); Dublin National Bank (approx. 7.8 miles away); William T. Miller Grist Mill (approx. 7.8 miles away); John Tarleton (approx. 10.8 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on March 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 8, 2020, by Marihelen Lindsey of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 113 times since then and 37 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on March 27, 2020, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area together in context. • Can you help?