Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Apopka in Orange County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Apopka Schoolhouse

 
 
Apopka Schoolhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, March 3, 2020
1. Apopka Schoolhouse Marker
Inscription.  Public education has always been an important part of Apopka's history. In 1879, Orange County held its first institute for teacher education in Apopka. In the early 1880s, the school in Apopka lacked a permanent building and was forced to hold its classes in rented spaces. Some parents sent their children to neighboring communities that had their own schoolhouses, such as Merrimack and Bay Ridge. This site marks the location of Apopka's first public schoolhouse, built in 1885. It was a small three-room building that stood beside the original Apopka Baptist Church, west of the site known as the Old Church Cemetery." The Reverend Lucian Drury. minister of Apopka Baptist Church, supplemented his income by working as one of the school's teachers, and in 1889, was appointed its principal. At that time, the school had four teachers; most schools in the area had only one. In 1891, the schoolhouse at this site burned down, forcing classes to be relocated to another building for the remainder of the year. In 1896, voters approved the construction of a new schoolhouse on Fourth Street, later Main Street. The new school opened for the 1897 school year.
Apopka Schoolhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, March 3, 2020
2. Apopka Schoolhouse Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online

 
Erected 2019 by The Apopka Historical Society, The City of Apopka, and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-1054.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & ReligionEducation. A significant historical year for this entry is 1879.
 
Location. 28° 40.602′ N, 81° 30.123′ W. Marker is in Apopka, Florida, in Orange County. Marker is on Fayette Street, 0.1 miles north of Monore Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located in the Edgewood-Greenwood Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 141 South Edgewood Drive, Apopka FL 32703, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oldest Masonic Lodge Building in Continuous Use in Florida (approx. ¼ mile away); Episcopal Church of the Holy Spirit (approx. half a mile away); Community of Piedmont (approx. 2.6 miles away); Forest City (approx. 3.8 miles away); Lovell's Landing at Lake Apopka (approx. 4.1 miles away); Dr. Howard A. Kelly Park (approx. 5½ miles away); Farm Workers Enrich the Cultural History of Lake Apopka (approx. 5.6 miles away); Lake Apopka North Shore (approx. 5.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Apopka.
 
Apopka Schoolhouse Marker looking south of Fayette Street. image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, March 3, 2020
3. Apopka Schoolhouse Marker looking south of Fayette Street.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 9, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 99 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 9, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=146436

Paid Advertisement
Jan. 24, 2022