Murfreesboro in Rutherford County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
The Presbyterian Church of Murfreesboro
In 1818 the name of the church was changed to the First Presbyterian Church. A brick building was erected: The legislature sat here in 1822 during the time when Murfreesboro was the capitol of Tennessee. The church was demolished by the Federal army in 1864.
This tablet is placed by the Col. Hardy Murfree Chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Erected 1933 by Col. Hardy Murfree Chapter, National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • War, US Civil Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1812.
Location. 35° 50.672′ N, 86° 23.29′ W. Marker is in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, in Rutherford County. Marker is on East Vine Street east of South Academy Street, on the right when traveling east. Located behind iron fence surrounding Murfreesboro Old City Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Murfreesboro TN 37130, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Forrest's Murfreesboro Raid Casualties (here, next to this marker); General Joseph Dickson (here, next to this marker); State Capitol (here, next to this marker); The Allen Chapel AME Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); James Daniel Richardson (about 400 feet away); Tennessee Baptist Convention (about 700 feet away); Joseph B. Palmer (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grantland Rice (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Murfreesboro.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 16, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 126 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 16, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.