Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Loretto in Lawrence County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Glen's Stand at Glen Rock

Andrew Jackson's Military Road

 
 
Glen's Stand at Glen Rock Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, March 15, 2020
1. Glen's Stand at Glen Rock Marker
Inscription.  
Glen's Stand was a large log house, inn, and tavern. Built pre-1812 by the Glen family in the Mississippi Territory, it was located on a trail beaten out by buffalos, which became part of (Cherokee Chief) Doublehead Trace. It stood at present-day north corner of 2nd Avenue (Andrew Jackson's Military Road) and Mill Creek Drive. Stands had holding pens (pasturage per day-4 cents) and feed (fodder-3 cents) for farm animals, that drovers from TN and KY herded to markets in Natchez and New Orleans. Stagecoach routes used stands, located at regular intervals, that functioned as relay stations to supply fresh horses, rest stops for travelers, and mail delivery from Washington to Nashville to New Orleans. Four horses usually pulled the great stagecoach at a gallop on primitive roads filled with tree stumps, boulders, and gullies with 6 to 8 passengers jolting about. The work life of stage horses was about 2 years. Stage drivers would announce their pending arrival about 2 miles from the stand by blowing a loud blast on a long trumpet for each passenger, who wanted to make a "reservation” for a meal at the inn. Meals (10 cents and whiskey
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
8 cents with lodging 6 cents) were ladled out of iron pots from the fireplace. At Glen's Stand, conversations centered on politics and news of the territory with visits from Andrew Jackson. Fresh water was supplied for hunters, warriors, explorers, pioneers, Jackson's soldiers of 1812, road builders, General Hood's 1864 Army of Tennessee, horses, and animals herded to the creek and spring downhill from Glen's Stand, where Native Americans from ancient times had cupped their hands and drank.

After the defeat of the British Army by General Jackson's Army (core of Tennesseans) at the Battle of New Orleans, he mapped out a new 516-mile route (17 days by stage), that connected Nashville with New Orleans for military movements and settlers in the Old Southwest. In 1816, President James Monroe and the United States Congress approved $5,000 to begin construction. The Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw, and Creek Nations agreed to land cessions in the treaties of 1816 but reserved areas for their tribes. The first 90 miles were charted to run south of Columbia, TN through Glen Rock. Parts of Doublehead Trace were widened to about 25 feet by 300 men including soldiers of the Eighth Infantry of the Military Division of the South, blacksmiths, carpenters, loggers, and bridge (35 locations) builders. The road work was completed by 1820 costing about $300,000.

Glen's Stand
Glen's Stand at Glen Rock Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, March 15, 2020
2. Glen's Stand at Glen Rock Marker
Second side
and the village of Glen Rock provided craftsmen, services, and supplies for stagecoaches, mail riders, and early settlers, who traveled the new Military Road. Henry Phenix, a resident of Glen Rock, cast the deciding vote for the placement of the county seat for Lawrence County, TN in 1818 with four other county commissioners including David Crockett.
 
Erected 2019 by LCPCA Betty Littrell Chaffin.
 
Topics and series. This memorial is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRoads & VehiclesSettlements & SettlersWar of 1812. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #05 James Monroe, and the Former U.S. Presidents: #07 Andrew Jackson series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1812.
 
Location. 35° 4.347′ N, 87° 26.796′ W. Marker is in Loretto, Tennessee, in Lawrence County. Memorial is at the intersection of 2nd Avenue South and Mill Creek Drive, on the right when traveling west on 2nd Avenue South. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 335 2nd Ave S, Loretto TN 38469, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Glenrock Cemetery (here, next to this marker); Methodist Church and Masonic Lodge 1908 (within shouting distance of this marker); Oldest House in Loretto (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct
Glen's Stand at Glen Rock Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, March 15, 2020
3. Glen's Stand at Glen Rock Marker
line); Augustin Lumber Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); Flour Mill (approx. ¼ mile away); First Factory (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of First Post Office (approx. ¼ mile away); First Dug Well in Loretto (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Loretto.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 17, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 292 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 17, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=146819

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 21, 2024