Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Blanton in Pasco County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Chipco Township

 
 
Chipco Township Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, March 13, 2020
1. Chipco Township Marker
Inscription.  The former town of Chipco was located here, less than six miles west of the former site of Fort Dade #2, built in 1849 during the Seminole War era. The town rose to prominence after the Civil War as an economic center. It was named in honor of Chief Chipco, a Seminole leader and uncle to Chief Tallahassee, whose band traded in the Tampa and Fort Dade area. Chief Chipco was an opponent of the Third Seminole War and later became known as a "friends of the white." The town of Chipco boasted a cotton gin and press, as well as grist and planing mills, built in 1874-75. In 1877, a frame schoolhouse was built, which doubled as a church on Sundays. There was a post office and a thriving general store that supplied goods to local farmers. In 1887, a station for the Orange Belt Railway was built and began operating as Chipco Train Station #21. The town likely declined due to multiple factors, The Great Freeze of 1895 killed many citrus groves, and the exhaustion of the virgin pine forests negativity impacted the area's lumber and turpentine industry. The Chipco school continued to operate until 1901. By 1909, the town had disappeared from most maps.
 
Erected
Chipco Township Marker looking south at one of the curves on Jessamine Road. image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, March 13, 2020
2. Chipco Township Marker looking south at one of the curves on Jessamine Road.
Click or scan to see
this page online
2019 by Drs. Karen & Eric Handel and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-1077.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesNative AmericansSettlements & SettlersWars, US Indian. A significant historical year for this entry is 1849.
 
Location. 28° 23.871′ N, 82° 16.443′ W. Marker is in Blanton, Florida, in Pasco County. Marker is on Jessamine Road, 1˝ miles south of Blanton Road (County Route 41), on the right when traveling west. Jessamine Road has many curves and this marker is in a pullout at one of these curves. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dade City FL 33523, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Joseph Community (approx. 1.6 miles away); Blanton Methodist Church (approx. 1.9 miles away); Townsend House Church & Cemetery (approx. 3.4 miles away); Lake Jovita Club (approx. 4.1 miles away); City of San Antonio, Florida (approx. 4.3 miles away); Joseph J. "Joe" Herrmann 1912-2002/Edward J. "Eddie" Herrmann 1936-2017 (approx. 4.3 miles away); Lake Jovita (approx. 4.3 miles away); St. Anthony of Padua Church (approx. 4.4 miles away).
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
 
Chipco Township Marker looking west. image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, March 13, 2020
3. Chipco Township Marker looking west.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 21, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 128 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 21, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=146964

Paid Advertisement
Sep. 21, 2021