Old Town in Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Washington’s Town House
Replica of Washington's Town House.
Lot purchased by George Washington 1763. House completed 1769 – torn down 1855. Rebuilt by Gov. and Mrs. Richard Barrett Lowe 1960. Bricks & stones from excavation used in construction. Worth Bailey, Historian; E. S. Holland, Engineer; Robt. Rust, Contractor.
Site of Washington's Town House
First used by him in his surveying. Here he maintained an office with secretary to receive and accommodate belated visitors to Mt. Vernon.
Erected by Alexandria Chamber of Commerce.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #01 George Washington, and the George Washington Slept Here series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1763.
Location. 38° 48.355′ N, 77° 2.699′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Virginia. It is in Old Town. Marker is on Cameron Street near North St. Asaph Street, on the left when Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 508 Cameron Street, Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lord Fairfax House (within shouting distance of this marker); For God and Country (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); World War I Memorial (about 300 feet away); Photos of Historic Alexandria (about 300 feet away); Alexandria Post No. 24, American Legion (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 28, 2023. It was originally submitted on March 8, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,874 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 8, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. 3. submitted on July 11, 2020, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.