Azle in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
James Azle Steward
Tennessee native James Azle Steward came to Texas prior to 1860. He and his wife, Mary E. Fowler Steward, were among the early settlers of this area. Steward was a well-known, respected pioneer physician. The settlement, which had been known by several different names at various times, was renamed Azle when Dr. Steward gave land for a townsite in 1883. He was also instrumental in the establishment of Ash Creek Cemetery. Azle Christian Church was built on land donated by the doctor. A Mason, he was buried in Ash Creek Cemetery.
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2713.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Science & Medicine • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 53.478′ N, 97° 32.588′ W. Marker is in Azle, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is at the intersection of W Main Street and Church Street, on the left when traveling south on W Main Street. This marker is in front of the Azle Historical Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 124 W Main Street, Azle TX 76020, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Azle Post Office (here, next to this marker); Azle Christian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); William M. Rice (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ash Creek Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Dido School (approx. 5.4 miles away); The 1865 Indian Creek Raid (approx. 7 miles away); Saginaw School (approx. 10½ miles away); Saginaw Cemetery (approx. 10½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Azle.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 24, 2020, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 24, 2020, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. 3. submitted on March 25, 2020, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.