Azle in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Ash Creek Cemetery
The oldest known graves in this community burial ground are those of Dave Morrison (1849-1874) and W. P. Gregg (1833-1874). Dr. James Azle Stewart, for whom Azle is named, and John Giles Reynolds, early grist mill operator, each donated an acre of land to establish the cemetery. Both Stewart and Reynolds are buried here. The Azle Cemetery Association was organized in 1922 to care for the site and to keep burial records. The Association bought additional land in 1932, 1947 and 1959 and constructed a tabernacle on the grounds. There are over 2,000 graves in Ash Creek Cemetery.
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 220.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 53.266′ N, 97° 32.812′ W. Marker is in Azle, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is on S Stewart Street west of Silver Creek Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Worth TX 76179, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least William M. Rice (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); James Azle Steward (approx. 0.3 miles away); Azle Post Office (approx. 0.3 miles away); Azle Christian Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dido School (approx. 5.7 miles away); The 1865 Indian Creek Raid (approx. 7.3 miles away); Clark Cemetery (approx. 10.2 miles away); Consolidated Vultee Aircraft Corporation Plant No. 4 (approx. 10½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Azle.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 24, 2020, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 34 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 24, 2020, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.