Argyle in Denton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Prairie Mound Cemetery
This burial ground was in use by 1882 when adjoining property was deeded to the Prairie Mound Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The earliest marked grave here is that of Edgar Myers (1875-1878), the son of J. E. and M. J. Myers. Church services were discontinued before 1920, and a public school, organized nearby in 1878, was consolidated with neighboring districts in the 1940s. Shortly after the original sanctuary was removed from the site in 1961, the Lark Heath Memorial Chapel was dedicated. Many pioneer settlers of the Argyle-Justin area are buried here.
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4109.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Education • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1882.
Location. 33° 6.537′ N, 97° 13.533′ W. Marker is in Argyle, Texas, in Denton County. Marker is on Prairie Mound Cemetery Road. From I-35W, take FM 407 west about .3 mile to Harvest Way. Go north Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Argyle TX 76226, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Johns' Well and Campgrounds (approx. 1.1 miles away); Graham Argyle Cemetery (approx. 3.2 miles away); Justin (approx. 4.7 miles away); Eakins Cemetery (approx. 5.8 miles away); Bartonville (approx. 5.9 miles away); Old Alton Bridge (approx. 7.2 miles away); Old Alton Cemetery (approx. 7.2 miles away); Rector Road Bridge at Guyer High School (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Argyle.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 25, 2020, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 326 times since then and 119 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 25, 2020, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.