Margaretville in Delaware County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
A Village Transformed
More than six acres of land in the heart of Margaretville, mostly on Main Street, became vacant. Local residents and civic leaders did not want the parcels to get overgrown and neglected. And while they understood that permanent structures could never again be built on them, nor could water quality be compromised, they began to discuss possible compatible community uses for the parcels with the New York City Department of Environmental Protection (DEP).
In 2001 and 2002, the DEP entered into cooperative management agreements with Margaretville Central School and the Village of Margaretville for the use of all 21 parcels, including the one on which you are now standing, and the one across the street, on which a community playground has been installed. Riverside paths have been established, and a new entrance to the Village Park created as part of a community revitalization plan. Other projects are envisioned on other Buy-Out lots.
If the Flood of 1996 was the worst that ever struck Margaretville,
This exhibit was made possible by the Catskill Watershed Corporation in partnership with the New York City Department of Environmental Protection and Margaretville Central School.
Sources: History of Delaware County,W.W. Munsell, 1797-1880,
The Early Indians of Delaware County: The Lenni Lenape, Mary Ann Mayes VanBenschoten, 1976,
United States Geological Survey, Report 97-4252,
Catskill Mountain News,
Delaware County Planning Department, and
NYC Department of Environmental Protection
Kiosk and panel design: Tom Rapin's Margaretville Central School Product and Computer Design Students, 2003-2004
Kiosk panels fabricated by: Timely Signs, Kingston, NY
Kiosk structure built by Margaretville Central School Buildings and Grounds staff.
Research: Carol O'Beirne
Text written by Diane Galusha
Special assistance provided by Mike Porter
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Disasters • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1996.
Location. 42° 8.733′ N, 74° 39.135′ W. Marker is in MargaretvilleTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Margaretville NY 12455, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Buy-Out Program (here, next to this marker); The Stream of Time (a few steps from this marker); Welcome to Historic Margaretville! (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lodges Organized in Middletown (approx. ¼ mile away); Margaretville (approx. 0.3 miles away); Margaretville War Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Middletown Settlement (approx. ¾ mile away); Stone School House (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Margaretville.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. The Margaretville Flood of 1996
Credits. This page was last revised on March 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 28, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 121 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 30, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.