Grapevine in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Established in 1859, the Nash Farm constitutes one of the last remaining agrarian sites from the 19th century in North Texas in the region where there was once a pervasive landscape of farmsteads. Thomas Jefferson Nash, Elizabeth Mouser Nash and their first three children migrated from Kentucky to Texas in 1854, first settling in Dallas and then moving within a few months to the Grapevine vicinity. They were joined by Thomas' brother, William P. Nash. By 1859, they settled permanently on this site. The original farm property consisted of 450 acres with a variety of crops and animals.
During the Civil War, Thomas and William left to serve with Confederate troops. They left the farm in the care of Elizabeth and the children; both survived the war and returned home to enlarge their farm holdings. The Nash farmhouse, constructed in 1869, is a two-story I-house with a one-story attached partial width front porch. The property also boasts a 1907 secondary gable-roofed wood frame transverse barn, or crib barn, a cemetery dating to 1878 and a brick cistern dressed with a brick rim and decorative metal cistern draw.
In 1888, Thomas
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2014
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2014 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17960.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Parks & Recreational Areas • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1859.
Location. 32° 56.053′ N, 97° 5.14′ W. Marker is in Grapevine, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is on Homestead Lane west of Ball Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 626 Ball Street, Grapevine TX 76051, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. J.E. Foust & Son (approx. half a mile away); Tarrant County State Bank Building (approx. half a mile away); Torian Log Cabin (approx. 0.6 miles away); Grapevine (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Baptist Church James Tracy Morehead (approx. 1.4 miles away); Minter's Chapel Cemetery (approx. 3.7 miles away); Coppell's First School Buildings (approx. 4.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grapevine.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 31, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 31, 2020, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 91 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 31, 2020, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.