Colonie in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Erie Canal
One of the slowest and most crowded parts of the waterway started to the north of the Flatts at Maplewood. Here Began the Tortuous series of 21 locks that raised the canal up to the Mohawk Valley and around the 70 foot cliffs of the Cohoes Falls. Situated between this traffic to the north and Albany's busy lumber district to the south, the stretch of the Erie Canal through the Flatts was comparatively quiet.
Boats that did not need to stop at the harbor in Albany bypassed this portion of the canal altogether by using the sidecuts in West Troy (now Watervliet) just north of the Flatts to get to the Hudson River. Still, nearly a hundred canal boats passed here on average every day in the mid-19th century.
The Original Erie Canal Referred to derisively by early critics of the project as "Clinton's Ditch," the original canal was only 4 feet deep and 40 feet wide, and carried boats up to 75 tons. Construction began in 1817 and was completed in 1825.
With the opening of the Barge Canal in 1917, which joined the Mohawk Valley directly to the Hudson river at Waterford, the canal along this section was abandoned and most of it was eventually filled in. This small section before you remains unfilled.
Erected by Schuyler Flatts Cultural Park.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Erie Canal series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1817.
Location. 42° 42.295′ N, 73° 42.797′ W. Marker is in Colonie, New York, in Albany County. Marker is on Broadway (New York State Route 32) near Federal Express Plaza, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 590 Broadway, Albany NY 12204, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Saint Agnes Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Burden Iron Works (approx. 0.9 miles away); Chester Alan Arthur (approx. 1.1 miles away); Watervliet ArsenalHistoric Albany Rural Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Little Red Schoolhouse (approx. 1˝ miles away); City of Watervliet (approx. 1.6 miles away); Saint Patrick's Church Bell (approx. 1.6 miles away).
More about this marker. Marker is mounted facing away from Broadway, in the Schuyler Flatts Cultural Park. The Park is located on Route 32 between the Village of Menands and the City of Watervliet in Albany County's Town of Colonie. This 12-acre park, opened in Fall 2002, on what was once a portion of the farm of the Schuyler family. The Schuyler farm was a staging area for revolutionary war encampments. Prior to this it was the site of a Mohican Indian summer encampment. The area has great historical and archeological significance and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Park includes a walking and jogging trail with access to the Hudson-Mohawk Bike Path. The park itself is a tranquil, wide-open green space for strolling, picnicking.
The Schuyler Flatts Archological District is on the National Registerof Historic Places as of January 21, 1974 and aditionally designated a National Historic Landmark in 1993.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 27, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 2,230 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on December 27, 2008, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.