Crewe in Nottoway County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Roger Atkinson Pryor
(19 July 1828 – 14 Mar. 1919)
Erected 1957 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number M-22.)
Location. 37° 10.612′ N, 78° 7.65′ W. Marker is in Crewe, Virginia, in Nottoway County. Marker is at the intersection of W Virginia Avenue (U.S. 460) and Meade Street, on the left when traveling north on W Virginia Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Crewe VA 23930, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Crewe (within shouting distance of this marker); Lottie Moon (approx. 0.6 miles away); Civilian Conservation Corps Company 1370 (approx. 1.1 miles away); T. O. Sandy (approx. 1.9 miles away); Ella Graham Agnew (approx. 1.9 miles away); Old Nottoway Meeting House (approx. 3.3 miles away); Ingleside Training Institute (approx. 3.7 miles away); Nottoway Court House (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Crewe.
Also see . . . Biography of Roger Atkinson Pryor. Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. (Submitted on December 27, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
1. Wilson-Kautz Raid
Gen. Pryor's local knowledge allowed Confederate cavalry to intercept a raiding Union force seven miles southeast of here at the "Battle of the Grove" on June 23, 1864.
[Excerpt from Black's and White's Station CWT marker] Former Congressman and Gen. Roger Atkinson Pryor, a native of Nottoway County, was riding with Gen. W.H.F. “Rooney” Lee’s cavalry when it arrived here. Pryor directed the Confederates to a shortcut at Hardy’s Fork to allow Lee’s cavalry to get in front of Wilson. The two forces collided just a few miles east of Nottoway Court House as
— Submitted June 16, 2010.
Categories. • Government & Politics • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Roger Atkinson Pryor.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 27, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,012 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 27, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 2. submitted on May 16, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. 3. submitted on December 27, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.