Sacramento in Sacramento County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The Civil War Memorial Grove
This grove of trees as saplings, transplanted from southern battlefields was dedicated to the memory of Union Veterans of the Civil War and presented to the State of California
Erected 1897 by The Ladies of the Grand Army of the Republic of California and Nevada, May 1, 1897.
Topics and series. This memorial is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the The Grand Army of the Republic series list.
Location. 38° 34.575′ N, 121° 29.479′ W. Marker is in Sacramento, California, in Sacramento County. Marker and Grove are located on the grounds of the State Capital Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10th and L Street, Sacramento CA 95814, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Liberty Bell Replica (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Starr King (within shouting distance of this marker); El Camino Real Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); Civil War Symbol Yields To Time (within shouting distance of this marker); USS California Bell MemorialPioneer Camellia Grove (within shouting distance of this marker); Kenneth L. Maddy (within shouting distance of this marker); California State Capitol Park (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sacramento.
Regarding The Civil War Memorial Grove. Also see the nearby marker "Civil War Symbol Yields to Time" for additional information.
Also see . . . A Tribute to Civil War Veterans. The Grove has trees from the Manassas, Harpers Ferry, Savannah, Five Forks, Yellow Tavern, and Vicksburg battlefields. Some trees come from other Civil War-related sites including the tombs of Presidents McKinley and Lincoln.
Scroll down through "Capitol Park - Points of Interest - Memorials & Monuments" (Submitted on December 29, 2008, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.)
1. Only Three of the Original Trees Remain
As of this date there are only three of the original trees remaining at the Grove. The Turkey Oak, which came from Savannah, The Tulip Poplar from Five
The Park Service has acquired seedlings from several battlefields and planted these "descendants" to replace the originals.
— Submitted January 6, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.
Additional keywords. G.A.R.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 12, 2022. It was originally submitted on December 29, 2008, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,821 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 29, 2008, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. 5. submitted on January 2, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.