Augusta in Richmond County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Birthplace of General Joseph Wheeler
After the war, Wheeler lived in the town of Wheeler, Ala., which was named for him. He studied law and was admitted to the Ala. bar. Elected to Congress in 1881, he served almost continuously until his resignation in 1900. As a major general of the U.S. Volunteers in the Spanish-American War, Wheeler fought at San Juan Hill, as well as in the Philippines. He retired from the U.S. Regular Army in 1900 with the rank of brigadier
Erected 1963 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 121-43.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Military • War, Spanish-American • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1865.
Location. 33° 29.399′ N, 82° 3.075′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Georgia, in Richmond County. Marker is at the intersection of Wheeler Road and Aumond Road, on the right when traveling west on Wheeler Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Augusta GA 30906, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Joseph Wheeler (approx. half a mile away); Bobby Jones and the Beginning of the Grand Slam (approx. 1.2 miles away); Pierce Memorial Methodist Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Sisters of Saint Joseph In Augusta (approx. 1.7 miles away); Walker Family Cemetery (approx. 1.7 miles away); The Augusta Arsenal (approx. 1.8 miles away); Augusta State University (approx. 1.8 miles away); Stephen Vincent Benet House (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
Also see . . . General Joseph Wheeler . Wikipedia biography. (Submitted on December 29, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 29, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,824 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 29, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2. submitted on October 30, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.