Benbrook in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
James M. Benbrook
(June 20, 1831 - Feb. 18, 1907)
In 1876 Indiana native James M. Benbrook brought his family to this settlement, then known as Marinda. A veteran of the Union Army during the Civil War, he became a prominent area farmer and landowner. In 1880, when rail lines were completed here and a depot was constructed, the community was renamed Benbrook in his honor by the Texas and Pacific Railroad Company. Twice married, Benbrook was the father of six children.
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2728.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
Location. 32° 40.806′ N, 97° 27.243′ W. Marker is in Benbrook, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is on Mercedes Street west of Winscott Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 812 Mercedes Street, Fort Worth TX 76126, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Willburn Cemetery Curzon Place (approx. 4.1 miles away); The Baldridge House (approx. 5.3 miles away); WWI Camp Bowie Base (approx. 5.3 miles away); Henry M. Williams Home (approx. 5.4 miles away); William Terry Allen Log Cabin (approx. 5.4 miles away); Fairview (approx. 5.4 miles away); Smith-Burnett Home (approx. 5˝ miles away).
More about this marker. This marker is located inside the Benbrook Cemetery.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 19, 2020, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 248 times since then and 84 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 19, 2020, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.